Thursday, 30 January 2014

Beginning to produce a book

I have been recently investigating self publishing a book in association with a small Irish scientific publishing house, so it seems sensible to record what I learn on the subject as I go along.

I studied a module entitled 'The Modern Publishing Trade' as part of my degree in Librarianship, and the subject of graphic design an interesting one and since then I have often played about with programs such as Gimp (a free version of Photoshop) and now PicMonkey.

At the moment my book is a huge pdf file created from a Word file, but it is apparently preferable to e a program such as Indesign or Publisher to create a finished document. A good book on InDesign is InDesignCS6 Visual Quickstart Guide by Sandee Cohen, Berkeley, Peachprint press, 2012 ISBN 9780321822536, $34.99 available on Creative Edge (which is a sort of online library that you can belong to for £15 a month apparently. I have a hard copy of the book that my friend lent me.

My friend swears by InDesign but I believe I have Publisher on one of our home computers so I will probably go with that and thus save myself £329.

Another book she has lent me is "Graphic Design School: A Foundation Course for Graphic Designers Working in Print, Moving Image and Digital Media" David Dabner, Sheena Calvert and Anoki Casey, Thames & Hudson, 2010 ISBN 9780500  28634 £14.95



No comments:

Post a Comment